Macleods Pharma files DRHP for second largest IPO by drug co at Rs 5,000 cr

Macleods Pharma files DRHP for second largest IPO by drug co at Rs 5,000 cr


Mumbai-based Macleods Pharmaceuticals, the seventh largest drug firm in the Indian Pharmaceutical Market (IPM), has filed preliminary papers with the capital regulator to raise Rs 5,000 crore through an initial public offering (IPO). This will be the second largest pharma to hit the street after Gland Pharma’s Rs 6,480 crore issue in November 2020.

The market for drug firms seems to be heating up as Pune-based Emcure Pharma’s Rs 5,000 crore issue is around the horizon. Emcure is the parent company of Gennova Biopharma which is making India’s first indigenous mRNA Covid19 vaccine.

As for Macleods, the initial share-sale is entirely an offer for sale or OFS comprising 60.5 million equity shares by the promoters. According to the Draft Red Herring Prospectus (DRHP) a portion of the will be reserved for subscription for eligible employees.

The selling shareholders will be entitled to the entire proceeds of the offer, and the company will not receive any proceeds from the public issue. At present the promoters and promoter group holds 100 percent equity of the company now which has organically grown since inception – through internal accruals, and without raising any external funding from private equity players.

According to market sources the promoters and promoter group would hold 89.9 per cent post the offer.

Giridharlal Bawri (74 years), Banwarilal Bawri (68 years) and Rajendra Agarwal (62 years) are the founders of the company who hail from Rajasthan, and currently hold 34.07 percent share in the company, while the remaining 65.93 percent lie with the promoter group.

Macleods draws 51 percent revenue from the domestic market where it operates in therapy areas like anti-infectives, cardiovascular, anti-diabetic, diabetes, dermatology and hormonal drugs.

Established in 1989, Macleods is the seventh largest company in the IPM for the six months ended on September 30, 2021 based on domestic sales, according to IQVIA.

The company has a deep presence in the IPM with its domestic sales from non-metro cities representing 80 percent of its total domestic sales in FY21.

Macleods posted revenues of Rs 7750 crore with a net profit of Rs 2023 crore in FY21. Its domestic sales have grown at a CAGR of 15.3 percent from FY11 to FY21 compared to 10.8 percent in the domestic sales of the IPM (IQVIA).

Apart from India the company has presence in more than 170 countries across developed and emerging in North America, Europe, Africa, Asia, South America etc. Revenue from operations outside India grew at a CAGR of 21.51 percent from FY19 to FY21 and represented 48.27 percent of revenues from operations in Fiscal 2021.

Macleods also has an extensive portfolio of anti-TB products, and has the highest number of WHO prequalified anti-TB products globally with 32 registrations.

Kotak Mahindra Capital Company, Citigroup Global India, Edelweiss Financial Services, ICICI Securities and Nomura Financial Advisory and Securities (India) Private Limited are the book running lead managers to the IPO.

Listing Date


Issue Size (INR Cr)



Supriya Lifescience




Sigachi Industries




Windlas Biotech




Glenmark Life Sciences




Gland Pharma Ltd




Eris Lifessciences Pvt. Ltd.




Laurus Labs Limited




Advanced Enzyme Technologies Limited




Alkem Laboratories Limited




Syngene International Limited



Dear Reader,

Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *